Solver assist customers with installing and upgrading their BI360 software. Before proceeding with this, it is important that some pre-reqs are completed to ensure a smooth process for both the installation process and pushing the software out to the users in the organization. Please ensure that the requirements are installed and fully licensed. This article is broken down in to a general section and followed by a detailed section on each major component.
Please view our system requirements for detailed information.
Before installing the software, please make sure that the system requirements are met. This includes
- Windows based PC that has had the Windows Operating System (OS) activated. Please view our system requirements for supported Operating Systems.
- Users may use a MAC that can RDC into a Windows based environment that has been configured with Excel and all necessary third party applications.
- Microsoft Office, in particular Microsoft Excel, has been installed on the machines that the install will be done on and the machines that the end users will be using. Be sure that a Office license has been assigned to the user and that the license has been activated. Please view our system requirements for supported Microsoft Excel versions.
- We are going to create two database. Please make sure that the user performing this task is a sysadmin on the SQL server. The creation of the DB can be done using windows or SQL authentication.
- NOTE: this is different from how users will connect to the database. The way that users are connecting to the database is defined in the administration tool when creating a connection.
- Microsoft SQL server is installed and configured. Solver, Inc. does not install Microsoft SQL. It is the responsibility of the customer to install Microsoft SQL and the various components needed, such as SQL Server Management Studio.
- Users have been added to the SQL server if the organization plans to use Windows authentication when connecting to the database. As with any SQL database, access permissions must be assigned. If you plan to use Windows authentication, please make sure that you have added the BI360 users to the SQL server and can grant them read/write to the BI360DW, OSR_Repository and the ERP database.
- BI360DW requires users to be part of the BI360_User database role. Please see this article for more info
- OSR_Repository requires db_owner permissions
- ERP database requires read permissions.
- If using MCL, this will require write permissions as well.
The application machine is defined as a computer that a user will be using to access the desktop application. The desktop applications include:
- Reporting Suite
- Planning/Data Warehouse
- FRx Converter
- ETL Tool
This is separate from the SQL server and Web Server machine. The following are requirements.
- The application machine should have Microsoft Excel installed as mentioned above. Please see our latest system requirements for the versions of Excel that we support found here.
- It is recommended to install the 64 bit version of Office if possible.
- Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO) is installed. As mentioned before, the installer does check for this and will install it if it is not found. Please make sure that the installation of this component is done during a period where the computer can be restarted.
- .net Framework 4.5.2+ should be installed. The installer does a check for this software. If this software is not installed then the installer will install it. This may require a reboot of the application machine. If this is a terminal server, then this reboot will kick everyone off of the machine. It is important to have .net Framework 4.5.2+ installed prior to the assisted install or that the install is done during a scheduled maintenance period.
- Windows updates have been performed. As with .net Framework 4.5.2, this process can also result in the machine being restarted. Be sure that everyone is off of the machine at the time that the windows update is performed.
- Ensure that the machine the software is being installed on has access to the internet. This is necessary to verify license keys and to download the integration package.
- The user doing the install is a local administrator on the computer.
- Access to the registry is needed. Read and Write permissions are required.
- Read and write permissions are required to multiple folder locations on the computer
- C:\Program Files -> location where the application is installed
- C:\Users\\AppData -> Planning and DW application files
- C:\ProgramData\Solver Bi360 -> Planning application file
- C:\Temp -> used to create log files for troubleshooting
- Dev Reports folder location -> this may be locked down to only those who are making and editing BI360 reports
- Prod Reports folder location -> location where users are accessing BI360 reports.
This is the application where the BI360 and ERP databases are located. The BI360DW and ERP database do not have to be on the same SQL server, but they can be.
- BI360 supports SQL 2008R2+. Make sure this is installed and configured prior to our call. Our application makes use of features that are only available in SQL 2008R2+. As with any software, it is always recommended to be on the latest version if possible.
- SQL Standard Edition or greater
- Web budgeting requires the database to be SQL Database Compatability 2008+
- Assign users to the BI360DW and OSR_Repository after the application is installed.
- If using MCL, the database must be of SQL2008R2+ compatibility level.
When investigating the performance of the SQL server there are some factors to consider:
- Hard Drive Configuration: This can include RAID configuration and HD speed. A SQL DBA should be consulted for best implementation techniques. The Editions of SQL can also play a role in the HD configuration.
- Ram: as mentioned above, the more ram the SQL server has, the more it can handle and process. This is really dependent on the number of concurrent users using the BI360 and other Databases located on the SQL server.
- Hard Drive size: this is dependent on the amount of data that is being loaded and the backup policy that is in place. The more data that is loaded into the Data Warehouse database, the larger the hard drive size that will be needed.
- CPU power: since SQL server is licensed per core, this depends on how the organization plans to use SQL. More cores can lead to improved report speeds but may not be significant as other factors such as Hard Drive speed.
With a SQL configuration, there are many contributing factors. For optimal performance, your organization's SQL DBA should be consulted for the above mentioned specifications.
The web server is where BI360’s Web Portal is installed. These components include
- BI360 Portal
The requirements for this are:
- Is IIS7+ installed and configured on the web server? Solver, Inc. does not assist with the installation of IIS and it is required to be installed by the organization's IT.
- Is Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) enabled on the web server? This can be enabled via Windows Features.
- What is MSDTC?
- Is ASP .Net 4.5 with .Net Extensibility 4.5 enabled on the IIS machine? This can be enabled via Windows Features.
- What is ASP .Net?
- Can the IIS Machine be restarted?
- In some cases, after installing the application, a reboot of the machine is required.
Keywords: kb730 pre install checklist installations kbhowto