This article will detail possible causes of BI360 Report Publisher working sporadically.
The solutions provided here address symptoms where Publisher works when manually ran but not when scheduled and Publisher sporadically works, "works today but not tomorrow".
This issue can be caused by the Desktop folder on the Publisher machine is missing, the file path for the publisher reports is not in universal naming convention, or not enough resources are on the machine dedicated to Publisher.
The first thing to do is to grab the error message from the Publisher event log, it will give you some key words to help troubleshoot this issue.
- If the error log references appdata\local\temp, most likely you are missing the Desktop folder on the Publisher machine. This folder is located in one of these locations based on Excel bitness.
- C:\Program Files\Solver\Private Host\PublisherService\Logs (for 64-bit windows)
- C:\Program Files(x86)\Solver\Private Host\PublisherService\Logs (for 32-bit Windows)
If you find that this folder is missing, simple create this folder and see if this resolves your issue
- The file path for all referenced publisher reports is not in universal naming convention (UNC).
- For example, your file may be located in your documents folder which you might references as C:\Documents. However, the UNC name for this location is "C:\Users\<yourUserName>\Documents".
- Please update all folder and destination locations to use UNC.
- Publisher can generate many reports. If you are experiencing sporadic results consider:
- Ensuring Excel 64 bit is installed on the Publisher server
- Publisher is a dedicated machine with no other application running on it
- Spacing out your Publisher jobs, ensuring that each one completes before another Publisher job completes
- Increasing the ram on the Publisher server.