The Publisher module allows you to distribute reports and report packages to users or a group of users belonging to a role in the system.
Reports can be run and distributed at a predefined time, or you can manually initiate running as required. You can add multiple reports to a publishing job, set parameters and send to e-mail recipients or send to their Archive module in the portal. The Publisher generates a log for all runs, enabling you to keep an overview of your report executions.
You can also edit your existing publishing jobs, for example, you can add or delete reports from the job or add or delete recipients.
The Scheduling feature allows you to set up a schedule for your publishing jobs to send reports at a predefined time interval.
In order to be able to use Solver Cloud Publisher, the following is needed.
1. Purchase of the Publisher module. Please contact your sales person if you have not purchased the Publisher module.
2. Once it has been purchased and processed then the Publisher module will appear on the cloud.
Create a Publisher Subscription
Publisher subscriptions consist of report(s) and recipients. One subscription can send a report (or multiple) reports to a recipient(s) archive or email.
After clicking the New icon in the upper right hand corner, users are taken to the Publisher Subscription wizard. The user is prompted for:
- Name: This is a user friendly name that will appear in the subject line of the publisher report.
- Description: an optional field, its contents will not appear in the email/archive item received by the recipients.
- In cases where an organization only has one company, this will pre populate with the company
- In cases where the organization has multiple companies, they will need to click the dropdown to choose a company
- Templates: from the dropdown, select the template(s) that are to be distributed to end users.
- Only Published reports will run. A draft report can be selected but may not run in Publisher.
- Take note of the Security Context dropdown that has appeared. There are two options:
- Context of the “recipient”: choosing this option results in the distributed report inheriting the security settings as defined in Settings > Administration for the recipient. This is the most common option and should be used in most cases to ensure that recipients are viewing only the data they should be viewing.
- Context of the “me” (the creator): choosing this option results in the distributed report inheriting the security permissions of the user creating the subscription. Use caution when choosing this option, if you are an admin user will full access to data, selecting this option will result in users receiving reports with all financial information shown.
- Parameters: After selecting the templates, choose the parameter values.
- all parameters across all reports will be shown
- If the same parameter is used across multiple reports, it will only appear once
- Recipients: Choose who should be a recipient of the templates attached from either the list of users or roles. Select the respective users/roles.
- Destination: Choose where the Publisher subscription should go. As the creator of the subscription, you have two options:
- Users’ Email
- Users’ Archive
At this point, you have successfully created a subscrition. You can save it and it will run, but it has not been scheduled
Scheduling a Subscription
To schedule a subscription
- First, enable the scheduler by clicking the toggle button. Solver Publisher scheduler will appear
- Choose the frequency. Users are prompted to provide the start date and time with three additional options:
- Hourly: send a Publisher subscription every 1, 2, 3, 6 or 12 hours
- Daily: send a Publisher subscription every 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 days
- Monthly: choose the month(s) and whether it should go out on
- First Day
- Last day
- Specific date
- Specific day of a week
Click Save to save your subscription. It will now run at the set, scheduled time.
Please refer to these KB article links below for all common errors and issues with using the Publisher module on cloud.